The Georgia State University Bands provide a comprehensive wind band program to the university community. More than 200 students participate in our six performing ensembles, making the band program one of the most visible groups on campus.
Our performing ensembles, each of which is open to any Georgia State student by audition, include:
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Wind Orchestra
- Chamber Winds
- Concert Band
- Panther Basketball Band
- Marching Band
Faculty, Staff & Graduate Assistants
- Robert J. Ambrose, Director of Bands
- Chester B. Phillips, Associate Director of Bands
- David Vandewalker, Assistant Director of Bands
- Thomas McConnell, Director of Band Operations
- T. Devin Reid, Graduate Assistant
- Chee Weng Yim, Graduate Assistant
- Katie Rogers, Graduate Assistant
- Lanae Dickstein, Graduate Assistant
- Reese Burgan, Band Operations Assistant
Competitive scholarships are available for all sections of the marching band. Interested students should contact Dr. Chester Phillips, associate director of bands, for more information. Click here for other School of Music scholarships.
Camps & Clinics
Students interested in the Master of Music in Wind Band Conducting degree program may view the program description [PDF] for audition information and degree requirements.
The 9th Annual Georgia State University Conductor's Art Workshop will be held February 21-22, 2015. Created in 2007 by Robert J. Ambrose, this workshop provides wind conductors of all levels with a positive environment in which to expand their musicianship.