The Georgia State University Bands provide a comprehensive wind band program to the University community. Over two hundred students participate in our six performing ensembles making the band program one of the most visible groups on campus.
Our performing ensembles, each of which is open to any Georgia State student by audition, include:
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Wind Orchestra
- Chamber Winds
- University Band
- Panther Basketball Band
- Marching Band
Faculty, Staff & Graduate Assistants
- Robert J. Ambrose, Director of Bands
- Chester B. Phillips, Associate Director of Bands
- David Vandewalker, Assistant Director of Bands
- Thomas McConnell, Director of Band Operations
- David Collins, Graduate Assistant
- David Reid, Graduate Assistant
- Chee Weng Yim, Graduate Assistant
Marching Band Scholarships - Competitive scholarships are available for all sections of the marching band. Interested students should contact Dr. Chester Phillips, Associate Director of Bands for more information. Click here for other School of Music Scholarships
Camps & Clinics
- Georgia Bands of Distinction Honor Clinic
- High School Concerto Competition
- Summer Leadership Institute
- Marching Band Day
Students interested in the Master of Music in Wind Band Conducting degree program may view the program description [PDF] for audition information and degree requirements.
The 8th Annual Georgia State University/University of Georgia conducting Symposium, "Inspiring Musicianship: The Conductor's Art" will be held on the University of Georgia campus on April 4th and 5th, 2014. Created in 2007 by Robert J. Ambrose this workshop provides wind conductors of all levels with a positive environment in which to expand their musicianship. For additional information please visit bands.music.uga.edu.